Government statistics show that almost half of all accidental fires in the UK are caused by an electrical accident in the home. Electricity is now the number one cause of accidental fires in the UK.
Know the risks.
Domestic homes are using more and more electrical appliances than 20 years ago. With the advancement of modern technology, homeowners are more reliant on their electrical installation than ever before. From powering entertainment systems and kitchen appliances to charging mobile phones and tablets, to even charging their car. So the risk of electrical accidents is becoming much greater.
How old is your wiring?
Faulty and ageing wiring is one of the major causes of electrical fires in the home. You can avoid these by having regular checks carried out on the condition of your cables, switches, sockets and other accessories.
Do you have suitable circuit protection?
An Residual current devices (RCD) is a life-saving device which is designed to prevent you from getting a fatal electric shock if you touch something live, such as a bare wire. It provides a level of protection that ordinary fuses or circuit breakers cannot.
“SMT Electrical Contractors Celebrating 25 years with the NICEIC”
Do you have suitable earthing and bonding?
If there is a fault in your electrical installation you could get an electric shock if you touch a live metal part. This is because the electricity may use your body as a path from the live part to the earth part.
Earthing is used to protect you from an electric shock. It does this by providing a path (a protective conductor) for a fault current to flow to earth. It also causes the protective device (either a circuit-breaker or fuse) to switch off the electric current to the circuit that has the fault.
How do I get my electrics checked?
It is important that any electrical installation work is carried out only by people who are competent. This means people who have the knowledge, skills and experience needed to avoid dangers to themselves and others that electricity can create. Find a registered NICEIC electrician.